Wednesday, 19 December 2012

helping out the guys!

While we stock lots of lovely knitwear and accessories for men all year round, it’s this time of year that we have swathes of you men folk coming through our door, slightly frantic, slightly confused, looking for the perfect gift for your lady friends. We congratulate you for coming to the right shop, you’ve done 80% of the job already, and we thought we’d help you get the other 20% right so you get full marks on Christmas Day! It’s not that we think you’re all hopeless, it’s just we understand the task can be overwhelming to some!
* If you’re not sure about sizes, have a look at the labels on items from her wardrobe you know she likes, or, if she’s shopped here before, make a note of the brands she buys and her usual colour choices. Gift buying should always be about the receiver, so just go for something that will make her happy, it doesn’t have to be anything drastically different, it can often be the simplest choice.

* When you’re in the shop, don’t be shy, and ask us staff to help you if you are stuck! We know our stock really well and have a good idea what suits all different shapes and sizes, so we’re well equipped to assist, no need to panic!

*Our best sellers are best sellers for a reason. We’ve highlighted below some of our best gift ideas, based on what’s been popular, customer feedback and what we’d like ourselves!

Idea#1: A NICE BIT OF SCOTTISH KNITWEAR- Not only shows you appreciate the hand-made look, but you get extra brownie-points for supporting local crafters!
*Janette Murray, gorgeous hand-crafted knits, made with love by knitters in their own homes. We can’t advocate these enough, they’re so popular right now, and have a bit of Christmas appeal also. They make Icelandic pattern berets, legwarmers too and even teddybears!
*The Quernstone, these are a nice timeless style, with a relaxed fit, that suit many figures. They come in a wide variety of styles, lengths and colours, and we can help you find the perfect one. They look lovely with layers of linen, most regular customers here have at least one! The company also make cute cowls as a lovely co-ordinating add-on.
Idea#2: A SET OF ACCESSORIES- It’s nice to have a set of hat, scarf and mitts to wear altogether, but something we all love to do here is put together a set of accessories that co-ordinate without being overly ‘matchy-matchy’. It shows you’ve put a bit of thought and creativity into it, rather than a ‘ready-made’ set. You can choose from everything in the shop to suit your budget.
Budget 1: Pachamama hat £15.95, Morsta scarf £9.50, LTS corsage £8.50 Total: £33.95

Budget 2: MTM hat £47.50, SWW mitts £42.50, Shirley Pinder scarf £45 Total: £135
Blow the Budget!: Studio Donegal cloche £137.50, Alex Kay scarf £75, Breege
Walsh mitts £32.50Total: £245

Idea#3: THE CLASSIC BASIC Sometimes it's nice to get a new pair of our favourite trousers because we've loved them to death, or a special top in a different colour: It shows you've been paying attention! Here are some of this year's best-sellers, customers come back for the same thing again and again, for the high quality craftsmanship, and simple yet flattering shape.

*Flax floods. We have stocked these fab comfy linen pants for YEARS, and their super quality never changes, and they never date. Simple, block colours, relaxed fit, great with pumps or boots. It's a nice practical option. From £69.50.

*Grizas top 5403. This top has been a revelation! It's simple but luxurious and seems to suit absolutely everyone that tries it on! A linen and silk blend, the crinkle is stitched in so perfect for travelling or events where you want a nice fabric that doesn't crush. We get it in a huge range of colours and also in wool weight, it's just been flying off the shelves!

*The Yaccomaricard kimo jacket. Such a good classy option, in durable cotton, exquisitely made. Great with jeans or to bring a smart monochrome outfit alive, this is a real statement piece with lots of pin tucks to give structure, really obviously a special item. Again, customers come back for the same great design in lots of different colours, we just love them! From £160.

For those of you who are last-minute or nervous types, there is always the fail-safe Gift Voucher. This lasts indefinitely so she has plenty of opportunity to come in and find something nice. However, and we think most women would agree, nothing says “I love you” more than a little effort, so we’d recommend taking advantage of our knowledgeable and friendly staff to help you find a great gift perfectly suited to your gal. Come in and visit, guys, let us help you!